https://amzn.to/2Vh3Ys2I think it is safe to say that tie dye has made a comeback in the last year or so and I am here for it! Ray rocks the tie dye like no other. Seeing that we are stuck at home for the next month…
Lately the only thing keeping me from sitting on the couch all day is this cold brew recipe. I was addicted to Starbuck’s Irish Creme Cold Brew forever but was cut off because it was a “seasonal beverage”. My sister sent her cold brew concentrate recipe over and it was a blessing. I did not need to be spending a $5 a day just on coffee. But yes it was that delicious.
To start, the latte itself takes less than 5 minutes to make. The cold brew concentrate is what takes at least 12 hours to set. Creating the concentrate is simple. You just mix coffee grounds and water together in a jar (with a lid) and let it chill over night in the fridge.
For the latte
You will need something to filter the grounds out of the mixture to have the completed concentrate. I use a reusable coffee filter.
If you are going this route make sure the jar you are filtering the concentrate into has a wide enough opening. It can get messy. You can also use a French press (like I do in my chai tea latte recipe), a cheese cloth or and small netted strainer. The point of it is to avoid drinking any coffee grounds.
When the concentrate is completely filtered you will need to dilute it. Or it will be insanely strong. I like to mix mine with almond milk but you can use water or any other liquid of your choice. Usually I do 3/4 almond milk to 1/4 cold brew concentrate. I do like my coffee on the lighter side and this is the perfect ratio!
To top it off I use Silk’s Almond Sweet & Creamy Creamer. In my opinion it is best to froth the creamer and top it off. Rather than mix it all together, but that is just for a more Irish Creme feel. It is delicious either way and leaves you caffeinated after one cup!
At Home Cold Brew Latte
- resuseable coffee filter/cheese cloth/french press
- milk frother/blender
- mason jar/cup with lid
- ½ cup ground coffee
- 2 cups purified water
- 1 cup milk of your choice I personally use almond milk
- ¼ cup creamer
- Fill jar with 1/2 cup ground coffee and 2 cups water. Place lid on jar and shake to mix ingredients.
- Place jar in refridgerator for a minimum of 12 hours.
- After twelve hours remove jar from refrigerator and place reuseable coffee filter over a new jar and pour contents of refridgerated jar into filter.
- Let coffee completley strain through the filter, if using the reusable filter let it sit for about five minutes.
- You now have your "cold brew concentrate".
- Get your preferred iced coffee cup and fill with ice cubes.
- Pour milk over ice making the cup about 3/4 full.
- Add cold brew concentrate to the milk until you reach the preferred density. A little will go a long way, stir together.
- In a seperate cup add creamer and froth, pour frothed creamer over the top of your cold brew and enjoy!
Thanks for the read!
So like most of the world we are a week into our official stay-at-home order and we have been eating right because of our handy meal plan. We have been quarantining ourselves for almost three weeks now. It all started almost enjoyable. We were home…
Get the FUNK out of here
So I catch myself occasionally slipping into what I call a “funk”. You know, bingeing Netflix series, living on a diet consisting of pasta and buttered bread and then there’s those mountains of laundry all over the place? Yes, those funks. Why do they exist? The cold weather, crazy hormones or someone knocking you down. All the reasons that I have thought about, but really all those reasons are just excuses. I honestly don’t know the true meaning behind the funk but this year I am taking said funk and shoving it up one.
As we get older life can become more stressful with bills, babies and whatever else falls into place. I’m not saying I am a master of de-funking, I am just super familiar with being in one. I’m ready to never deal with them again. Though, that would be the perfect life we all know that life is not perfect. So in honor of the spectacular month and a half I just had here is a list of some de-funking methods made by yours truly.
Own who you are in the moment.
- So you might not be where you are at, you might not be anywhere close. But own it. You are you and your life is what it is. You want it to be better? Make it. Only YOU can do that. Be proud of where you are today. You are alive, and I can bet you that you are better off than you were at 16. You have a head on your shoulders and are independent. That means you have full control of YOU. Even if it doesn’t feel like it. YOU are the one living your life and who you are today MATTERS.
Cut out the NO’s.
- It is cool to throw yourself a five minute pity party, go ahead and record yourself explaining why life is unfair, say it out loud, and when its done its done. It is good to speak it out even if no one is listening, You need to release what you have bottled up. Afterwards take a minute or two to reflect with what isn’t making you happy. Don’t make excuses for whatever it is. Is this part of you a sacrifice? Will it help you get to where you want to be? Is it holding you back? If there is something in your life out of habit, that has almost become natural, whether it be a job, relationship or even eating habit, and it is weighing in as a negative impact, CUT IT.
Make a list.
- Make a list of everything you want, even material things, literally everything you want. It can be pages, it can be divided into sections just make a list. Then put that list aside for a day or two and then go back to it. What does your future (now present) self think about this list? Is everything reasonable? Do you really even want all the things you wrote down. Make your edits and then visualize yourself with every item on that list. Believe it is already yours. Now next to each item write what is keeping you from having it in that moment. It is actually harder than it sounds, but this is a good way to create paths towards getting where you want to be. Sometimes we have to break things down to the core to find the right game plan.
- What water? Yes WATER. Water can help in so many ways. For one you may be dehydrated from lack of water which tends to make people lethargic and cranky. Besides the key hydration factor water helps keep hunger satisfied so that second bag of goldfish won’t be as tempting. It also does wonders for the body inside and out. It helps clear your face of imperfections and keeps skin from drying out. Dedicate one cup in your house as your water cup and treat it like your gas tank, don’t let it get below half way(until your ready to end the day that is).–Side not if your tank is on E go fill it and don’t let it get under half–.
Find the littles.
- Everyday there are little reminders showing us glimpses of what is pure and right in the world. I know that negativity is like a tsunami over the entire world currently, but do you best to ignore it. Focus on your life and the little things around it that make it great. This will help in practicing to be mindful. When you pull up to your driveway and one leaf falls on your window, that is a little. When your kid makes that sly smirk for no reason(or at least you don’t know the reason yet) that is a little. When you are walking and catch a reflection of the sky in a building window, that is a little. The universe blesses us with so many beautiful things we take for granted daily, and all we can do is notice and say Thank You God.
Be the better person.
- Ok the absolute struggle when one is trying to be a pathetic mush ball in bed buried under weighted blankets. But hold the door for people, volunteer to help out when the opportunity comes up, let someone know that they look nice when you know they tried. Just be a kind person. I am a believer in what goes around comes around, but it is more like you attract what you are. If you are being a little pitiful petunia then sure enough the people around you are going to absorb that energy and throw it right back. Uses your funk as fuel to be better.
Alright a short and sweet list from me to you and I hope with all my love that is helps rid you from the funk-iness.
From one funk-er to another,
Thanks for the read!
Call me cliche but making new year resolutions bring me joy. Do I stick with them, let alone remember them after three months? Maybe not, but I don’t just set one(full disclosure: I am a Monday person, I look forward to fresh starts and forming…
Ways to stay healthy this holiday season and still enjoy yourself
It is the holiday season and that means all the sweets, booze, carbs and a very hard time staying healthy. Some may say it is the best time of the year to indulge. But if you are like me who tried to eat right and stay healthy all year long it’s almost heartbreaking to look down at that table spread and feel like you can’t eat it. Well, I will go ahead and be the one to tell you it is a hundred percent OK to treat yourself here and there this holiday season. Thanksgiving and Christmas will pass and come January the whole world will be making an effort to be healthy (at least for the first three weeks of resolutions). So if you take on “moderate indulgence” and a little physical activity here and there it will make January 10x easier to get back on track. I created a little list of tips on ways to stay healthy this holiday season and still enjoy yourself below.
I by no means am a nutritionist or in any medical field, just a fellow health enthusiast with a sweet tooth with some tips for you to take into consideration!
Staying Healthy This Holiday Season While Enjoying Yourself
Start your mornings off right!
- December is the perfect month for those hot cups of coffee filled with sugar and whip cream but step aside. Start your morning with a hot cup of lemon water before anything. Lemon water has so many healthy benefits for digestion and skin! By starting your morning with hot lemon water you are waking up your body with something good for it! This will help mentally trigger that the day has started off right and in good health! By all means have that cup of coffee after. Maybe skip the extra sugar and treat yourself with a little dairy free coconut cream whip cream, still sweet but way better for you!
Be aware of portions.
- So it may be a personal problem but come holiday meal times(like the actual holidays where there is 3 main dishes and 27 sides to choose from) I feel the need to make a mountain of food and end up going back for seconds. STOP RIGHT THERE. You know what is good for you. Load up on veggies and protein but when it comes to casseroles and carbs, pick one and portion it out. I promise you will fill up with much less food than you think.
Don’t be a grazer and stay busy.
- The aurdoves that keep bringing you back. The spread of chips, dips, and cheese trays. Be aware and conscious. Have some veggies and some cheese and crackers but keep in mind you will be eating later. If you find yourself repeatedly going back to the snack table distract yourself. It is ok to munch here and there but there is also plenty of things to keep you busy. Help out cooking, set the table, get a head start on dishes or try and socialize with that Uncle who only talks sports stats. Stay busy.
- I come from an irish family that isn’t shy of drinking at gatherings. So many things to celebrate! Just be responsible. Keep it light. Beer and wine have a lot of calories. If you are staying in the same location for the night look up a fun cocktail to make or treat yourself to a low calorie beer. If you are driving make a mocktail! Or treat yourself to one drink early one and sip on it slowly then wait awhile before getting behind the wheel. Sadly enough you will not be the only one on the road that night and it is best for you to be fully aware of your surroundings!
Add a little physical activity to your day.
- If you are in the South you have no excuse to not be outside everyday for a brisk fifteen minute walk, well unless it is down pouring. Get your blood moving. Whether it’s going out for a walk or jump rope. Taking your kid to the park. Doing 15 squats while you brush your teeth. Do something active. Let your body know you care. Feel like an overachiever? Go to the gym and spend thirty minutes on the treadmill and spend another thirty weight training. One fun way to incorporate fitness and pleasure is by trying out a yoga class that incorporates wine, beer or goats!
Save the sweets!
- It is easy to say that almost every corner I turn there is a sign for warm apple pie, a box of assorted chocolates or a tin of Nana’s homemade cookies. All my weaknesses. But do I NEED them? Not at all. In fact I can spread the holiday spirit by making healthy alternatives! Treat yourself with something small everyday. By all means you can have a cookie but if temptation is hitting you hard try out an advent calendar. With this you get one small piece of chocolate a day. If you plan to have your piece at night after dinner you can remind yourself throughout the day that you get that special sweet treat EVERYDAY and that is better than eating 12 cookies and feeling like a lazy bum afterwards!
Just a few friendly reminders to keep with you this holiday season! What is you trick to staying healthy? Comment below!
Wishing you a happy holiday!
Thanks for the read-
The holidays are here and that means family gatherings, aka bring on the holiday cocktails! Now we all know the spiked eggnog and irish coffees make for the perfect winter’s evening but holy crud the calories they hold! For some calories shmalories. But for all…